Well this morning I write to you from the waiting room in the Siouxland surgical center. My Husband Wiener is in surgery right now getting a new knee. He has put this off for several years and even right before they took him back he asked if he could change is mind. I said, NO! Yes, he was serious. He is does not enjoy doctors and this was not an easy morning for him. I was hoping they wasted no time to knock him out.
We are coming off a good week of basketball. We won our conference opener at Central then took care of business against Crown College. Central has a new coach and played well. I feel very fortunate to get that first conference win under our belt. Crown College was short on numbers and short on stature. We won 90-22 and I found myself cheering that they would score. It is hard to play well in games like this but I was really proud of our defensive intensity through the game. We also wanted to take 80 shots and we got 93. It was probably good we did not shoot the ball very well or it could have really been ugly.
At Central we had several alumni in attendance. It was great to see Steph Gronau, Kelli Staley Cameron, Jennifer Allen, Jocelyn Kock, Jahde Hammer and Tracy Hartwig. A lot of these former players still play in a league in Des Moines. I am sure if that group suited up they would be pretty competitive. I always love seeing my former players.
Our team is becoming better students of the game. We have lots of very smart people on our team and we have tried to challenge them mentally as well as physically with thinking more about what we are trying to accomplish.
People do not realize that it is hard to see everything going on during a game. You really need to watch film and really watch individual players to give them specific things to work on. This is something that Coach Lehner and I are trying to do better. Give more feedback after games, not just stats. Stats are important but this is only a piece of the puzzle.
From the scores so far in the conference it appears it is going to be quite a race. My philosophy is that you have to win at home and split on the road . If you do that you will be in the hunt. Wartburg comes to town on Wednesday after an impressive victory over Simpson. We will be ready!
Finally thoughts: Winter has arrived, the Vikings stink, Tiger is back and turkey for thanksgiving is overrated (that’s another story).
Go Beavers!
No comments:
Post a Comment